Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Super Day for Super Heroes at St. Mary's


St. Mary’s was full of super heroes and the kids were really diggin' it. We incorporated the theme of super heroes for the kids to enjoy, which they certainly did. They loved our costumes, but of course we had a few haters! One of the girls told me that my cape looked like a diaper, and she called me "super-diaper" the rest of the day. By using the super hero theme, we created a positive atmosphere for the kids to enjoy as we played. My group, Prestige World-Wide was with the Pre-K kids for the day. They really got a kick out of our costumes and were even incorporating the super hero theme on their own as we played on the playground. They were calling us by who we were dressed up as, rather than our names. It was cool so see how wild little kids' imaginations can be. Duncan, one of the boys I was playing with on the playground, wanted to be a superhero too. He was completely dressed in red from head to toe, with red gloves on. I started calling him the "fireman" and he was loving it. Duncan stood up on little plastic bench out on the playground and screamed "I'm the fireman!" He told me that his gloves were "lava" gloves. We continued to play tag and whenever he grabbed me, I pretended that my arm or leg was burning. It was great to see he loved it being how he was pointing and laughing at me as I was burning alive on the ground! As we were walking in from the playground, Tim and I heard one of the girls say “Wow, I never thought Superman was real.” I guess Vinny did a great job being Superman. I tried to remember when I was young and thought like that. I miss those days!

All while being caught up in the world of super heroes, Prestige World-Wide got the kids to be productive physically. We played tag games so we were able to observe some of the children’s gross motor movements such as running, galloping and hopping. One tag game that we played was "Heroes and Villains." This was your traditional "Sharks and Minos" but we changed the name of the game to relate to the theme of the day. We had the heroes run like the “Flash” across to the other side without getting caught by the designated villains. After a few times of running, we had them gallop, and eventually had them hopping. Upon observation, it was noticeable that their mechanics for these movement patterns certainly need to improve, but they are very young. This was expected. A lot of the kids were hopping incorrectly so we were helping them. Incorporating something that the kids can relate to, like super-heroes, can go a long way. It only enhances their interest. They were extremely enthusiastic as there was not one kid who wasn't using their imagination and having a blast doing it!

I WISH I WAS YOUNG AGAIN!

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection and I wish I were a kid too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody misses the kid days:). Good reflection and that is what is great about going to St. Mary's is helping these kids enjoy everything you did when you were a child.

    ReplyDelete